23 June 2009

A Sign of Subservience

So the arch-secularist Sarkozy has come out in favour of a ban on the burka. Mr Sarkozy was adding his voice to a strong consensus that has emerged this month against women in France’s five million-strong Muslim community who wear the full or nearly-full cover of their bodies and faces. The latest French controversy over Muslim dress, which follows the 2004 ban on head-cover in state schools, began this month when 60 MPs from both sides of the house demanded action against the burka and the niqab.

I can't argue with his sentiments, and I find it interesting that the majority of commenters both here at the Times, and at the Guardian, seem to be in general agreement with the little Frenchman. But really, you can't have governments legislating on how people dress. Still, I admit to being quietly pleased that he's said what he's said, even if I don't necessarily agree with his conclusion.

As I've argued before, this is a feminist issue. I look forward to the time when I come across a group of sisters stopping a be-niqabed or burka'd woman and explaining to her exactly why they find such attire deeply offensive. Some day.... [Mick Hartley] Read more