02 February 2011

If you're looking for Islamophobia, try the comments under my article about Baroness Warsi

Here is my answer to the more than 1,600 online comments on my defence of Baroness Warsi in last week’s Daily Telegraph. Put bluntly, many of them were so offensive that they show that Sayeeda Warsi indeed had a point when she drew attention to a real social problem in this country: an irrational and phobic hatred of Muslims.

Of the total of 1,633 comments, some 201 attacked me personally. I counted exactly 36 (just over 2 per cent) which were in support of my general point of view. So, many thanks to my 36 allies!

[COMMENT] .... antipathy to Islam is not irrational. Islam is an ideology that preaches radical separation between its adherents and others. It advocates the differential application of moral standards to members of its in-group and members of its out-group. There is no other major moral system in the world that rejects the principle of equality between people so overtly. [telegraph.co.uk] Read more