10 February 2012

Saudi writer Hamza Kashgari faces charge of blasphemy after tweets about Muhammad

Saudi journalist Hamza Kashgari was detained in Malaysia on Wednesday night and is likely to be extradited soon to Saudi Arabia, where he will be tried for blaspheming religion. Kashgari, 23, had fled the kingdom Monday after he received thousands of death threats. His crime? He posted on Twitter a series of mock conversations between himself and the Islamic prophet Muhammad.

“On your birthday I find you in front of me wherever I go,” he wrote in one tweet. “I love many things about you and hate others, and there are many things about you I don’t understand.” Another reads: “No Saudi women will go to hell, because it’s impossible to go there twice.” [The Washington Post] Read more [via Mick Hartley]