08 July 2012

We mustn't allow Muslims in public life to be silenced

Have you ever been called an Islamist? How about a jihadist or a terrorist? Extremist, maybe? Welcome to my world. It's pretty depressing. Every morning, I take a deep breath and then go online to discover what new insult or smear has been thrown in my direction. Whether it's tweets, blogposts or comment threads, the abuse is as relentless as it is vicious.

You might think I'd have become used to it by now. Well, I haven't. When I started writing for a living, I never imagined I'd be the victim of such personal, such Islamophobic, attacks, on a near-daily basis.

[A COMMENT] You must be joking. How dare you equate my distaste for a nonsensical religion with racism. My partner is Indian. I'm extremely anti-racist - I just think faith is ridiculous.

I don't dislike Islam any more than I dislike Christianity. They both peddle nonsense. They both hold us back. No, on second thoughts, maybe Islam has the edge because of its apostasy laws. [Guardian Cif] Read more