12 September 2017

'Ban the burqa' campaigner claims there have been threats to kill his family

A man who was questioned by armed police after wearing Islamic dress in an Exeter department store has claimed that someone has threatened to kill his family since the incident.

Thomas Dunn was stopped under Section 43 of the Terrorism Act in Debenhams in July before being later released without charge when police discovered he was an anti-burqa campaigner.

However Dunn, who said he was campaigning against the wearing of the burqa, was seemingly oblivious to the fact he was actually wearing a niqab.

He now claims that he received a phone call at his home saying that someone would blow up his house and kill his family. Police are currently investigating the incident.

"When I first received the phone call I thought it was a wind up," said Mr Dunn.

"But then the caller said he knew where I lived and read out my home address.

"He said he would blow my flat up and kill my family - my wife is absolutely terrified and I have children too.

"What I do is totally legal and although I expect some response to my campaign, I don't expect this. [DevonLive]-Read more