10 August 2018

Bus driver disciplined for asking Muslim woman to remove veil

A bus driver has been disciplined after asking a Muslim woman to remove her face veil, telling passengers: “This world is dangerous.”

The 20-year-old woman was with her two-month-old baby when the driver of a First service into Bristol city centre told her he did not know what she was capable of doing if he could not see her face.

The woman, who has not been named, told Bristol Live: “He said I was scary and I was dangerous, and he kept talking about it during the journey. I didn’t say anything.

“He continued to insult me, and he made me out to be a terrorist, and kept saying everyone should see each other’s faces. He asked why I was wearing a balaclava. He was insinuating I was going to bomb the bus.”

The woman said the incident had made her feel “horrible and disappointed”.

“I get that he might not be from the country, so maybe he has never seen a person with a face veil, but for him to treat me like that in a public place is wrong,” she said. “It’s 2018, we shouldn’t be like that. I’m being stereotyped.” [The Guardian] Read more