21 December 2019

My teacher almost outed me for taking off the hijab

Today I was happy. I had completely stopped covering my hair and was speaking confidently with other people. I was just so happy, I wanted to go home and dream about it all night.

In math class, when the bell rang to switch, a teacher asked me about my hijab. I told her that I just took it off and it was no big deal. She told me that it was important to uphold culture, she then asked if my parents knew what I was doing. Being the idiot I am, I said no and asked if she would tell. To my absolute horror, she said yes.

My whole world stopped. I know what would happen if she said a word about this to my mother. I asked her why she would do that and she said:

“because it’s your culture! And you are an exception to be able to wear the hijab as a uniform, so don’t just take advantage of that.”

I put my head down for a while, holding back tears. Before I knew it, it was time for the last class. In the hallway I just walked mindlessly to my next class. [r/exmuslim] Read more