09 June 2011

I feel more distanced from Islam

.... I received Islam with my mother's milk, but for a long time I've felt more and more distanced from my childhood faith. This is not because I was rejected by the Islamic scholars I've visited. Certainly there aren't many mosques I'm welcome in, but that in itself did not make me believe less.

It's more because I can't reconcile myself with the fundamentalist interpretations of the Koran I increasingly see. I feel that violence is exercised against my childhood faith, when there are calls for intolerance, hate and crimes against humanity in the name of God.

Islam hasn't always been this way. It was formerly a place of inclusiveness and energy and a place to take care of society's weak and outcast. Islam formerly played the same role in the World as Christianity does today.

Today there are unfortunately too many who don't live by the loving messages which exist also in Islam. There are too many who follow a hateful and militant interpretation of the scriptures. And I think that's sad. [Islam in Europe] Read more