05 December 2011

Tackling the Islamists

.... (i) I have found the overwhelming majority of Muslim Brotherhood figures in Britain to be similar in outlook to Rachid Ghannouchi, head of Ennahda, the Islamist party that was victorious in Tunisia's elections last month.

Having gone from a modest home in north London to the plush new headquarters of Ennahda and the levers of power in Tunis, Ghannouchi is a good example of the compatibility between the political ambitions of many British members and associates of the Muslim Brotherhood and democratic norms.

.... (ii) I would appreciate not having as a political interlocutor the imam of my local mosque; worse still an Islamist spokesman who is unable to see me as much more than a member of the Muslim Internationale in Britain, awaiting the return of the Caliphate somewhere else. My identity is made up of more than my faith alone. [New Statesman] Read more