29 August 2012

Atheists Ignore Islamophobia at their Peril

.... [A COMMENT] I'm not "Islamophobic". I don't have an "irrational fear" of Islam, and I'm far too polite (or prudent) to refer to it as a "shitty" religion. I just regard it as the worst of a bad bunch, and I came to this conclusion by going through life with my eyes and ears open.

Muslims, in my experience, range from the decent, but blinkered, to the fanatical and psychopathic. It's hard to have any kind of discussion of their religious beliefs without them taking offence, and often with me feeling that the threat of violence isn't far away.

I can empathise with anybody who describes him/herself as a human being, but not with anybody who self-identifies as a Muslim; by definition, they are then identifying me as a kuffar, or non-Muslim. They have created the dualism; therefore it's up to them to cope with the consequences of this. [Religion Dispatches] Read more