16 April 2013

Norway employer regrets hijab gaffe

The incident was sparked off after Upper Secondary School pupil Ebru Akinci was called into the manager’s office at a Shell petrol station in Stavanger last week.

She had just started her new part-time job that day following a short period of training when general manager Sigve Grønnestad posed the question.

“I asked if it was okay for her if she did wear her hijab during her working hours here. She answered me that she would think about it,” he tells regional paper Stavanger Aftenblad.

Mr Grønnestad adds he discovered his actions were at fault after he had consulted company policy more closely.

“I apologise for having done this. We have uniform rules here, and both I and the company are careful to ensure that employees follow it. However, I checked this afterwards, and [found] there is nothing that indicates that she cannot wear hijab. [The Foreigner] Read more