03 June 2018

Sajid Javid slams 'unrepresentative' Muslim Council of Britain as he dismisses claims of widespread Islamophobia in Tory party

Sajid Javid slammed the 'unrepresentative' Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) today as he dismissed claims of widespread Islamophobia in the Conservative Party.

The stinging rebuke came after the MCB demanded an inquiry into 'racists and bigots' in the party, highlighting a series of alleged incidents involving activists.

Former Tory chair Baroness Warsi also backed an investigation last week, complaining that the party tended to 'shrug its shoulders' over such claims.

But asked about the issue on the BBC's Andrew Marr show today, Mr Javid pointed out that he had been made Home Secretary in a Tory government - and questioned whether the MCB was a legitimate voice for the muslim community.

'I have got a lot of time for Baroness Warsi, but I am afraid I don't agree with her,' he said.

'As you just described me, I am Sajid Javid, I am the Home Secretary in this country...

'The MCB does not represent muslims in this country. You find me a group of muslims that are represented by the MCB.'

Mr Javid - who is from a muslim background but non-practising - said there were issues of 'anti-muslim hatred' as well as anti-Semitism in the UK. [Daily Mail] Read more