25 August 2010

Newsnight Looks At Why UK Muslim Women Adopt the Niqab

Why are more British Muslim women, without coercion from their fathers or husbands, choosing to wear the face veil (niqab)? On Monday 23rd August, Newsnight aired an interview with four women to ascertain why they adopted the niqab when their mothers did not.

.... The Newsnight piece then interviews Houla (sp.), a sister who wears the hijab and formerly wore the niqab. One of her reason for choosing to wear the veil was her experience of being influenced by scholars coming from the Arab world. She notes,

“One of the main topics of discussion by the scholars was that Muslim women, especially, and Muslim men need to be as different from non-Muslims as possible… and that the woman must be completely covered from head to toe, even the hands and the feet”. “I started feeling guilty about the fact that I didn’t cover my face, my hands and my feet and so I started to”. [ENGAGE] Read more