24 September 2010

Belgium: Protest against headscarf ban more radical than reported

....The playground was crowded that evening. About 50 people gathered in the inner courtyard. It wasn't clear who belonged to the school, who was a parent and who came to the school to start a row.

During my speech I said that I visited the al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem and there, out of respect for Islam, removed my shoes and put on a veil. Then the playground exploded. I apparently stepped on some very sensitive toes. I wanted to talk of reciprocity, but I couldn't finish my sentence. There was calling, screaming..

I was later able to finish my story in order give the floor to imam Taouil. To my complete surprise, he didn't keep our agreement of several hours before that, but began to incite the children in the playground. [Islam in Europe] Read more