02 April 2011

Is France right to "ban the burqa"?

.... Salma Yaqoob: I separate my personal, emotional reactions from the right of other people to make their own decisions. I don't personally like it. I can understand why some people are uncomfortable about it. But I'm even more uncomfortable about taking that choice away.

My mother didn't wear a hijab and was hostile when I began to. But when my sister was in her early 20s, she began wearing a full burqa. I was very uncomfortable with that, but she saw it as an expression of her spirituality. Now she doesn't wear the burqa. It was part of her journey. What's fundamental to me is that no one should dictate to anyone else whether to cover or uncover.

YAB: This relativism is my big problem with what you've just said. The faith does not demand this. This is a Wahhabi project, funded by the Saudis, which has been very successfully planted here. [Guardian Cif] Read more