14 November 2014

British Muslim woman: why can’t I make any white friends?

.... My experience of being a British Asian Muslim and feeling like ‘the other’ in the country I was born in has led me to create this microcosm of family friendships, despite my parents moving here from Pakistan some 40 years ago.

You see I’ve had too many typical ‘awkward race moments’in the UK - such as walking into a cafe in a predominantly white area and being ignored. Or feeling embarrassed when friends tell me I’m no fun because I choose not to drink.

.... As mother of a two-year old little girl, I hope things will be different for my daughter. I really do. With every generation, people from immigrant backgrounds tend to integrate further. I doubt she will learn Urdu from me but I still want Islam to be a part of her life because it's a massive part of mine.

[A TOP RATED COMMENT] Ah, of course, its all our fault.

[ANOTHER] what a whingefest - one of life's great lessons for all of us is that 70% of other people's behaviour towards us is caused by us - so if you want people to change how they react to you then change yourself and your behaviour first !! and amazingly it works !!!

[ANOTHER] People of various religions and creeds mix very easily in Britain today. Only one particular group has issues and it is entirely of their own doing. [The Telegraph] Read more