10 October 2015

Zunera Ishaq, who challenged ban on niqab, takes citizenship oath wearing it

Teacher from Pakistan calls all the political heat on her 'sad' and 'disappointing'. The Ontario woman who won court battles affirming her right to wear a niqab while taking the citizenship oath finally took part in the ceremony on Friday afternoon.

Zunera Ishaq cried as she took the oath at a government building in Mississauga, Ont., west of Toronto.

"Thank you so much for honouring me here today," she said.

Afterward, in an interview with CBC News, Ishaq said it meant a lot for her to finally get Canadian citizenship.

"It actually confirmed my belief in the justice system of ... Canada," she said.

During the ceremony, Ishaq said, her affection for her new country caused her to well up.

"I was feeling pretty much that love which I already have in my, within myself for Canada. And you know, the same feelings as I was feeling in the oath, that definitely this is the country to whom I have to be loyal." [CBC/Radio-Canada] Read more