21 April 2018

‘I raised my voice because secularism was under threat’

.... Q. Your arguments on Islam mainly seem to stem from the injustices you’ve faced as a woman, your experiences as a doctor, and the patriarchal society. Any comments?

A. Not only my life, I have seen other women’s lives too. How they are oppressed because of anti-women tradition, culture, customs and religion. I have also read holy books, I have problem accepting them as holy, though. Islam has been largely exempted from the critical scrutiny that was applied to other religions. I believe Islam has to go through the enlightenment process other religions have gone through by questioning inhuman, irrational, unscientific aspects of religion.

Q. Is freedom of speech absolute freedom for you?

A. Yes, freedom of speech should be allowed until one turns violent. Violence must not be allowed. Fatwas, death threats are open calls for violence. It cannot be considered as freedom of speech. [SUNDAY GUARDIAN LIVE] Read more