22 May 2019

Fight against terror could be undermined by new Islamophobia definition, warns police chief

He said a small minority of “very vocal” Muslims would use the definition to thwart stop and search and Prevent, the Government’s anti-radicalisation programme, by claiming they were Islamophobic and racist.

It could lead to communities turning against police, even stopping officers from promoting Prevent, which he described as “the most important pillar in this country’s counter-terrorism strategy.”

"The people I deal with - extremists or even terrorists - would be able to use that definition to frustrate some of the powers of my officers," said Mr Basu, a senior national co-ordinator for counter-terrorism and Deputy Assistant Commissioner with the Met Police.

.... It states: “Islamophobia is rooted in racism and is a type of racism that targets expressions of Muslimness or perceived Muslimness.”

Mr Basu said it conflated race and religion and was so broad that anybody who criticised, insulted, or satirised Islam would be called out for Islamophobia and racism.

Mr Basu, who is of Indian heritage, said: "This is a definition that was designed to protect people like me. I've spent 51 years dealing with racism and the vast amount of racism I've had in my life has been the perception that I might be Muslim - and I'm not...I feel kind-of personally conflicted. [The Telegraph] Read more