16 May 2019

MPs rail against plan to define Islamophobia in law that would 'divide the country' after the government rejected it and experts warned it would limit free speech

England's first Muslim MP today agreed that the Government was right to refuse to enshrine a definition of Islamophobia in law.

Labour's Khalid Mahmood, who represents Birmingham Perry Barr, said the move would only divide the country more and lead to increased segregation of Muslim communities.

He told the Commons during a debate on the issue: 'I am for equality for all - but I oppose this. We as Muslims should be proud of who we are and try to move away from a victim mentality'.

Supporters of the idea including the All-Party Parliamentary Group on British Muslims say that formalising the term will help to counter hostility toward Muslims.

But Mr Mahmood said: 'I have been the victim of hate mail and actions from the far right and the Islamist community as well. I am proud to be a British Pakistani Muslim MP - the first Muslim to be elected in this Parliament from England. I will take no lessons from anyone who says I'm an Islamophobe or too much or a Muslim'. [Daily Mail] Read more