01 July 2009

In my experience, sharia judgments can seem arbitrary, unfair, even cruel. Better to trust British law

Having been on the receiving end of sharia rulings – I must make it clear that sharia courts are often nothing of the sort and are more likely to be an imam at the end of a phone I can speak about the arbitrary and random nature of these bodies.

Ultimately, from my own experiences and from those of my friends, sharia is driven by the needs of a community rather than an individual. Whatever the protestations of its fans, this system of law does not favour women or local custom. While it is impossible to outlaw it, a better and more realistic solution would be to educate people about the advantages of British law, which, while it has its flaws, is more developed and grounded in reality and fairness. [Guardian CiF] Read more