28 February 2018

Tortured Pakistani Christian ‘leapt from window’ to escape police

A Pakistani Christian has said he jumped from the fourth floor of the Federal Investigation Agency building in Lahore after he was tortured.

Sajid Masih, 24, was summoned for allegedly posting blasphemous material on Facebook. Police had also arrested his cousin, Patras Masih, 17, for the same alleged crime. His mobile phone was confiscated for examination and he was beaten. “When I asked them what I had done they responded, ‘We are beating you because you are the cousin of prime accused,’ ” he said in a video statement on Saturday.

“They took me and Patras to the fourth floor and started beating us. We were told to call each other ‘accursed’, which my cousin complied with . . . They asked me to take off my cousin’s trousers and have sex with him. I refused.” The officials insisted, and Mr Sajid said he had no choice but to jump from the window. He is in hospital in a critical condition. [The Times (£)] Read more