10 November 2016

Campaigners Hand in Petition after 100,000 Call for Ban on Halal Slaughter

Campaigners have handed a 100,000 signature petition to Downing Street calling for a ban on halal and kosher slaughter.

The petition, which described un-stunned slaughter as “cruel” and “barbaric”, accuses the food industry of “pandering to the minority group[s]” that support the practice rather than standing up for animal welfare.

Petition organiser Johanne Tavares told Breitbart London: “I have campaigned against halal and kosher slaughter since I was 20, when I became vegetarian.

“I am not against people eating meat, because as a realist I accept that the greater number of the population do, including my family; therefore I campaign for the highest possible standards at slaughter. Clearly halal and kosher are not that.”

She said she had received support from many people including farmers, the British Veterinary Association, Sikhs and Christians. [Breitbart London] Read more