10 October 2016

Louis Smith could be disciplined over video appearing to mock Islam

Louis Smith could face disciplinary action after British Gymnastics said it would investigate footage published by the Sun over the weekend which appeared to show Smith and his friend mocking Islam.

The gymnast, who won a silver medal for Great Britain on the pommel horse in Rio was videoed with fellow gymnast Luke Carson shouting “Allahu Akbar” and mimicking a praying pose.

“British Gymnastics does not condone the mocking of any faith or religion and is appalled by such behaviours,” a statement read. “Gymnastics is an inclusive sport and we are proud of members who portray the inclusive values of British Gymnastics.

“Members who break our code of conduct can face suspension or expulsion from our organisation. We will be investigating the behaviours reported.”

Smith apologised for the incident, which took place at a friend’s wedding. “I am deeply sorry,” he wrote in a message on Twitter. “I am not defending myself, what I did was wrong. I want to say sorry for the deep offense I have caused and to my family who have also been affected by my thoughtless actions. [The Guardian] Read more